By Katelyn Campbell, Publicity Club of New England
With only a few more days left (4 days!) to the Publicity Club of New England’s 46th Annual Bell Ringer Awards, the enthusiasm for the Bells never ceases to amaze me. Our president Maryanne Keeney touched on the history in her post earlier this week and it’s exciting to be part of that history and experience many milestones that we’ll all accomplish as an industry on Monday night.
For me, being a board member, a PR professional and, of course, a people-person, I love the entire night. From the excitement mounting up to Monday night, to the cocktail hour and seeing former colleagues and friends, to the awarding of winning campaigns and the naming of the Super Bell Winner— it’s an excellent night to celebrate, reflect and mingle with PR community.
For the past four years I’ve attend the Bells as a board member. Here are my biggest takeaways to maximize what Bell Ringer night has to offer:
- First, enjoy yourself: There is only one night a year that we all gather in the same room to celebrate our work. We all work extremely hard and it’s nice to gather and celebrate that hard work.
- Be outgoing! Remember that Table Six a few years ago? Have fun in the night and don’t be quiet at your table.
- Along the same lines, don’t be a stranger. Take the time to catch up with others. That old boss, former client, the girl you see at all the other PubClub events, it’s a good time to chat it up, talk shop, compare notes and say hi. We’re lucky to have a night to mingle with the best in the New England PR market.
- Laugh at WBZ-TV Morning News Anchor David Wade’s jokes. The man is a funny host and he gets PR people. He had us all in stiches last time he hosted and we expect the same humor this year.
- Donate to charity. Every year, we pick a charity of the host’s choosing. This year, a portion of the evening’s proceeds will benefit the Pan-Mass Challenge, an annual bike-a-thon to raise money for life-saving cancer research and treatment at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
- Be on social. We love seeing all the tweets, Instagram selfies and more with the hashtag #BellRinger
- Learn! As PR people, we never really turn off our brains and Monday night will be no exception. It’s a great chance to learn the strategies and results that PR campaigns saw this past year. It’s incredible to hear the Super Bell nominee case studies or see the unique titles that win the gold, silver and bronze awards.
- Don’t forget to visit our sponsor tables. They’d love to meet you and offer great giveaways, information and services.
- Acknowledge all the winners. It’s our night and we are so happy for everyone who will be taking home a shiny new Bell Ringer for all their hard work.
- Get Inspired. Next year’s deadline will be here before you know it!
There is so much to take in the couple of hours during the award ceremonies. This is such an excellent time to acknowledge the hard work of others and motivate you for next year’s Bell Ringers.
See you all on Monday night!
Katelyn Campbell is an Account Manager at PAN Communications.