All signed up for our Sizzling Summer Social next week? Great! Now it’s time to prepare, so we’ve put together some tips:
1. Make an effective introduction
When you show up in your spiffy summer outfit, you want to make a good first-impression. Know what you are going to say about yourself and your background. Be friendly and casual, but also structured.
2. Don’t show up empty handed- bring business cards. And a lot of them!
Business cards are a staple to successful networking. Not just a standard white 3.5 x 2, but something unique. You can consider adding:
- Social media links such as LinkedIn, Twitter, portfolio/professional website
- A fun & appropriate headshot- it’s easier to put a face to a name
- Add some color. Not too much to seem overwhelming, but creative enough to stand out in a pile.
3. Make NEW connections
Of course, you are most comfortable with the people you already know, but networking events are designed for you to make new connections. Step out of your comfort zone and introduce yourself to someone new.
4. Think of good questions… ahead of time!
Having a few general questions to ask each person you meet is a great way to get a conversation started. Asking well thought-out questions not only helps you learn about the person but also helps the other person feel a sense of structured conversation.
5. Enough about what to do for them, let’s think about YOU!
Bring a note pad and pen. Why? Because after you speak with all these new faces, you need to remember who is who. After each conversation, write down keywords to jog your memory on who they are, their personality, job, and maybe what they are wearing to help you remember
6. If you’re feeling super extra…
Hopefully, you grabbed their business card after giving yours. Sending a follow-up e-mail or connecting on LinkedIn is always thoughtful and will stand out. Thank them for their time, reiterate your conversation and point out things you enjoyed talking about.
Written by: Samantha Stone, Agency 451 PR Intern
DATE AND TIME: Mon, July 31, 2017, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
LOCATION: Committee 50 Northern Avenue, Boston, MA 02210
INTERESTED IN OUR PROGRAM AND OTHERS LIKE IT?
Throughout the year, the Publicity Club of New England puts together organizational tours, networking events, and presentations and panels featuring industry experts. Check out our program archive to learn more.