Category Public Relations
Location Boston, MA
Contact Person David Grant
Contact Email email@example.com
Website Address http://www.csmonitor.com
Company The Christian Science Monitor
The Monitor is seeking an energetic, creative communication and marketing professional to serve a key role leading the Monitor’s public relations, internal communications, reader communication and event marketing. This staffer will serve as a part of the Monitor’s overall marketing team and works to further the Monitor’s overall goal of building the most loyal audience in media through first-class interaction with Monitor readers and the world at large.
This role’s core function is to serve as the primary contact point for external parties looking to interface with the Monitor. First and foremost, this position will help design the Monitor’s interface with readers, helping the Monitor build direct, empathetic relationships with its subscribers. This position will help craft how the Monitor talks to its current readers, working with the marketing team to create a pathway for conversation between Monitor staff and readers. He/she will play a crucial role in the Monitor’s drive to provide excellent customer service and reader engagement in coordination with marketing staff and the Customer Contact Center.
More broadly, this includes members of the media, potential partners (non-profits, universities, think tanks, etc.), and other external parties.
This position will also help shape the Monitor’s voice to staff and internal constituencies in helping craft memos and announcements at the direction of senior staff. Finally, this position will serve as a part of the overall marketing team and help support broader marketing initiatives as needed.
In summary, the Manager of Communications will serve as a key component of outreach to readers who don’t yet know the Monitor and a helping hand to readers who already do. This position helps the Monitor’s audience feel deeply connected to the organization as it spreads truth and continues to improves the welfare of mankind through constructive, inspired journalism.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Public relations and media affairs
- Pitching and coordinating logistics for Monitor reports to appear on other media outlets
- Building partnerships with other news organizations to create regular opportunities for Monitor reporters to appear on their programs
- Serving as a primary point of contact for inquiries relating to events or other branding partnerships
- Producing external communications, such as memos or press releases, around Monitor milestones, product announcements, or major staffing changes
- Use PR tools and technology to measure impact of public relations work and devise strategies for improving Monitor earned media outreach
- Manage, gather and submit applications for editorial awards
- Identifies relevant media and topical conferences and pitches Monitor staffers to speak
- This position will work with retention / engagement staff, editorial staff and technology team to help build pathways for communication between readers and the Monitor.
- He/she will help evaluate feedback from readers and use judgment to direct feedback to appropriate staff to build deeper conversations between the Monitor and its readers
- This role will work at the direction of the Associate Publisher and other senior staff to draft internal memos and communications on a regular basis.
- Drive registrations for Monitor events through targeted outreach to Monitor subscribers and the general public
- Works closely with the social media team to promote Monitor editorial and business objectives, including planning and execution of social media campaigns
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND JOB CONTACTS
- Supervisor: Director of Marketing and Analytics
- Supervises: None (possibly interns)
- This person regularly interfaces with the Associate Publisher, marketing team, designers, analytics staff, and the Customer Contact Center.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of digital experience in a relevant line of work such as at a publisher, agency, think-tank, corporation, non-profit or otherwise;
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Discretion and tact to interact with senior staff inside and outside the Monitor
- Demonstrated initiative and ability in defining and undertaking work assignments with minimal supervision. Strong attention to detail required;
- Evidence of good judgment, creativity, inquisitiveness, and perseverance in past work;
- Strong analytic abilities and meticulous attention to detail;
- Willingness to learn online marketing techniques including social media, to help support wider communications team
- Experience marketing events to targeted audiences
- A proven ability to meet deadlines, multitask and work under pressure while going above-and-beyond the minimum when the opportunity presents itself.
- A thorough knowledge of desktop and web applications, including Gmail, Google Docs / Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) are required.
- Understanding of modern web and social media practices. Familiarity with website design and/or web development a plus.
- Accustomed to handling images and video files. Fluency with design programs a plus.
- This position may be based in Washington, D.C. or Boston.